Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Bring the Heavy - Black Clouds

Hey All-

Another one from the "I still have a lot to catch up on"file. I'll be posting these up as I finish them.

This one is actually a combination of two shows from Black Clouds. The first was from their show at the 9:30 club, and the second was from when they played the Fillmore a little while back. While I had free reign to shoot at the 9:30 show, I was on a severe restriction at the Fillmore (S.O.P. there I'm afraid). So, I just threw them both together.
Anyway, Black Clouds has been really good every time I have seen them. I am not usually into instrumental bands, but they have proven to be one of two current instrumental bands that I really dig. For those of you wondering what the other band is, it's BELLS≥. Anyway, Black Clouds is super heavy - and brings it all to your eardrums with an understated ferocity. You think it's kinda mellow and then you find you've had your chest punched in from the wall of sound. Drummer Jimmy Rhodes hits his kit like he's an enforcer coming to collect on a mob debt. At the same time Bassist Ross Hurt coaxes more sounds out of his bass than I knew were possible, and Guitarist/keyboardist Justin Hornstein juggles a ton of gear and effects seamlessly. Especially impressive given that they are a 3 piece. They are also good showmen - providing their own light show that is synchronized with their songs. Not. Too. Shabby.
I would highly recommend that you pick up their full length LP "Everything is Not Going to Be OK" available directly from the band via their Bandcamp site . They still have a few copies of vinyl if you are a record head like me.

You can see my pics here.

Till next time - see you in the pit.

pete




No comments: