Saturday, February 1, 2014

Shooting the moon - Mona at the Black Cat

SO, I am playing a bit of catch up here. I have a bunch of shows that have languished as my life has kept me wrapped up. This one is from November. There will be more late ones.
My friend Tracy tipped me off to this band Mona, which I admitted I had never heard of (hey - I can't keep track of all the bands). As a result, I had no idea what to expect - no "they sound like" or "they remind me" references to work from. I found out at the show that they are from Ohio and Kentucky, originally, but now call Nashville home.
So, what did they sound like? Well, in a word - rock. They were a fun rock band with fun songs and great stage presence.  Frontman, Nick Brown, is clearly comfortable in front of a crowd, and enjoys the attention that he commands on stage. To be clear, that is not a knock on Nick - most performers enjoy the attention they just deal with it differently. I, for one, appreciate someone who is clearly enjoying themselves on stage. Mopey stage guy gets old to me.
I picked up both their albums ("Mona" and 2013's "Torches & Pitchforks") at the show, and I have enjoyed both of them quite a bit (though the lack of a download code with the "Torches" record was a little annoying - amazing how quickly us vinyl heads get spoiled).
So if you want to see a fun show, go see Mona. Thanks again to Tracy for tipping me off and even giving me a ticket. Tracy's rad.

you can check out my pics here .

Till next time - see you in the pit.

pete

No comments: