Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wetting our Pants - Pissed Jeans, Purling Hiss & Priests at the Black Cat

So this show ended up being a tag team effort for Chris and me. We were both at this show at the Black Cat (not the last show we both caught last weekend), so there are a bunch of images to look at.
First up was Priests. They're a DC-based quartet that typically lays waste to the stage, and this night was no exception. They had a tremendous set, and caught the attention of many folks who had come just to see Pissed Jeans, which was not surprising as they are hard to ignore once they start blazing through their set. This was my second time seeing them and it was just as enjoyable, if less unexpected, than the first time at Fort Reno this past summer. My only gripe is their insistence on tape only releases. I know this is the hip thing to do, and it is totally their prerogative to do so, but to me tapes went away for a reason. I love their stuff - and would love a vinyl copy or at least a download. At the moment it's tape or streaming only (click on their name above to link to the streaming player). A boy can dream. You can find the photos here:
Pete's pics
Chris's pics

Next up was Philly's Purling Hiss . I am not sure what I think about this band. They were good, but I think they were just not my taste. Or maybe it was tough to follow Priests, while people were waiting for Pissed Jeans. That said, you can't deny their commitment and energy in the show. They laid it out - and were quite the wall of sound for a 3-piece band. You can find the photos here:
Pete's pics
Chris's pics

Now, Pissed Jeans...what to say? Jesuschristonacrutch comes to mind. I must admit that while I'd heard a lot about them, I had never seen them live, so I didn't know what to expect.  Chris had seen them, I knew they were high energy, but I'm not sure it helped with the onslaught. Two other things probably helped boost their energy - they were taking video of the set, and Dave Grohl was at the club. Knowing you're being recorded, and that Grohl was there would certainly get my energy level up. But that is pure conjecture, as I have no reference point on them to draw from. From the get go, they let it fly, and the crowd responded. After about two-thirds of their set, and after being crushed into the stage too many times to count, I bailed from the front and enjoyed the rest of the show from a less violent perspective. Chris was braver than I, and stuck it out through the whole set, but did complain about being sore the next day. In any case, they were great and left me no doubt as to why I had heard so much about them. You can find those photos here:
Pete's pics
Chris's pics

Ok, we are hoping to have the second show up shortly. The snow may help make that happen sooner rather than later.

Till next time - see you in the pit.

pete & chris


No comments: