Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Local Business - Titus Andronicus at the Black Cat

A little while back, I finally got a chance to see Titus Andronicus. I have been a fan for a number of years - but missed several earlier chances to see them. So, I jumped when the opportunity presented itself this time. And the Black Cat is a perfect venue for them.

I won't go on too much about them, as there is plenty that has been written, and with more skill than I have to offer. But I will say that they were really good. Like wow good. The energy was amazing, and they blazed through their set, making it feel a lot shorter than the hour plus that it was, hitting songs from all the previous albums and some new material as well. Frontman Patrick Stickles is a force of nature. I was floored with his ability to play guitar while singing some of the densest lyrics out there. THEN he notices that his guitar is slightly out of tune, and he tunes it without stopping. I'm pretty sure he's operating on another level. If you get a chance, check out his interview on WTF with Marc Maron, which you can get free on iTunes for now.

My only complaint about the show at all was a certain number of folks in the crowd. Before Titus started, Patrick made a mini speech asking people to treat each other with respect and not mow anyone over. He even quoted (and credited) Ian MacKaye from his Fugazi days, saying "We are not a soundtrack for violence." Well, some folks didn't listen, and I fended off more than a few meat heads from bowling me and others over. I got pretty tired of it, and I eventually moved back so I could enjoy the rest of the set with out catching an elbow.

The only other curve ball for me was that I tried to shoot with a new camera with mixed results. The camera is great, and I think it could work for certain bands, but not something as high energy as Titus.  But that's why I tried it out, and now I know.



You can see the pics here.

Till next time, see you in the pit.

pete

No comments: